Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Stuff My Family Says


Serengeti: The technique of ransacking the house for dollar bills and coins behind couch cushions and in coat pockets in order to rake up enough scratch to go to McDonald's for dinner. It's called the Serengeti because we're hunting for our dinner just like our ancient ancestors did on the African plains. This one was my idea.

e.g. Hey I don't feel like cooking tonight. Let's do Serengeti and see if we can grab a Happy Meal instead.

Awnooje: Orange

Swanje: Sandwich (both awnooje and swanje come from mispronunciations by baby Margaret and Baby Ciara, respectively)

e.g. For lunch I think I will have a swanje and an awnooje.

Youtique:
Another word for technique or ritual. An action that is taken with regularity at specific times to achieve a reliable end. Ciara made it up when she was four.

e.g. First I eat breakfast and then I get dressed. That is my morning youtique.

Young People Shouldn't Have To Work: This was a phrase my mother actually said to Jim and me the summer we were seventeen years old in order to lament the fact that we both had to go to work at our jobs instead of frolic in the clover. Jim and I have repeated it to one another in similar lamentation every day since.

e.g. I can't believe I have to go to work today. Young People Shouldn't Have To Work.


Late For The Festivities:
This means being overly hasty in general or driving too fast specifically. It comes from the time twenty years ago when my sister-in-law Lisa was making fun of crazy drivers on our way to see fireworks in San Francisco.

e.g. Look at those crazy drivers. They must be Late For The Festivities.


What are some of the things your family says?

3 comments:

  1. Love this post!

    Brandon and I have a lot of little sayings... although at the moment they all escape me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love "young people shouldn't have to work", especially since you guys have held on to it for so long.

    When our third baby was about three he said "havavy" instead of food. I think it stood for any consumable item. Nowadays, "havavy" is a lifestyle. We have a havavy house-kids play room, a havavy bed-cute little bed that only stuffed creatures sleep in, and some days are havavy type of days-although it may be a colorful day, absolutely nothing adult is achieved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gronchy: Pronounced "GRAAN-chee"
    Adjective. To be an equal combination of grumpy and grouchy.
    e.g. - Ben woke up from his nap crying. I think he's gronchy.

    Snugglybug: Pronounced "Snugglybug"
    Adjective. The state of being comfy and cozy by being together.
    e.g. - C'mon, Ben let's get snugglybug on the couch because you feel gronchy.


    We've got a few more but I can't think of them right now...

    ReplyDelete