Thursday, June 13, 2013

Summer Me

I have two women living inside of me and they are Summer Me and Schooldays Me. When I have long days without a structured job to attend, I turn into a person I would not be able to stand under normal schoolday circumstances. Schoolday Me would scoff at Summer Me and privately feel not only superior in character, but mildly offended at the other's self-indulgent aimlessness. Summer Me admires Schoolday Me in every way but also knows that she could never ever be that busy.

For example,

Schooldays Me: I better get up at 5 in order to exercise so I can get in my strength training as well as my aerobics and still have time to meditate.

Summer Me: I better get up at 7 or else I'll be too tired to get around to exercising at some point before noon and maybe I'll just take a meandering walk instead of going to the gym anyway.

Schooldays Me: I wear a pedometer to track all of the steps I take during the day in the course of work.

Summer Me: Maybe I'll go this way. I don't know. Whatever.

Schooldays Me: Now that I'm done with my eight-hour workday, I think I'll clean the house, do the grocery shopping and cook a meal. Then I will make sure my daughter is bathed  and ready for school tomorrow and that everyone has the laundry they need done for the next day. Before bed, I will make my lunch and my daughter's lunch. I will also prepare my breakfast and grind my coffee beans to be ready for tomorrow morning.

Summer Me: I can't believe I went to the gym AND the drugstore this morning. I better take a nap.

Schooldays Me: Did I get my 1,000 words written today?

Summer Me: Have I done anything besides write today?

Schooldays Me: I am wearing Spanx and control top pantyhose under my pants and blazer and high heel shoes. Always important to look professional.

Summer Me: I am wearing my husband's old pajama pants. Always important to at least wear pants.

My Summer Me looks up to my Schooldays Me as if from the bottom of a pool. There Schooldays stands, waving her arms around and looking too hot in her long pants and high heels. She should stop working so hard, maybe. She should maybe jump in the pool.

My daughter, who much more resembles Summer Me than Schooldays Me in every particular.


No comments:

Post a Comment